ATAIU-SEA (Allied Technical Air Intelligence Unit - South East Asia) was one of the joint Allied military intelligence units formed during World War II to recover Japanese aircraft
Primarily an RAF unit, ATAIU-SEA was formed during 1943 at Maidan, India operating as a combined RAF/USAAF unit before the USAAF personnel were transferred to the United States.
By early 1946 ATAIU-SEA in Singapore had collected 64 Japanese Army and Navy aircraft, most in flyable condition, for shipment to the UK. However, lack of shipping space prevented this operation and only four eventually arrived in England to be put in display in museums.
The unit was disbanded at Seletar, Singapore on 15 May 1946.
|Type||Model||Serial number||Tail code||Notes||Origin|
|J2M 'Jack'||J2M3||?||B1-01||Tested at Tebrau AB, Malaya, 1946.||Captured at Malaya. Originally from 381st Kokutai.|
|J2M 'Jack'||J2M3||?||B1-02||Tested at Tebrau AB, Malaya, 1946.||Captured at Malaya. Originally from 381st Kokutai.|
|A6M 'Zero'||A6M5||?||B1-05||Tested at Tebrau AB, Malaya, 1946.||Captured at Malaya. Originally from 381st Kokutai.|
|A6M 'Zero'||?||?||B1-06||?||Originally from 381st Kokutai.|
|A6M 'Zero'||A6M2||?||B1-12||Tested at Tebrau AB, Malaya, 1946.||Captured at Malaya. Originally from 381st Kokutai.|
|A6M 'Zero'||A6M||?||B1-21||?||Originally from 381st Kokutai.|
|A5M 'Claude'||A5M||?||B1-32||?||Originally from 381st Kokutai.|
|Kyushu K9W 'Cypress'||K9W1||?||B2-20||Tested at Tebrau AB, Malaya, 1946.||Also cited as being a Kokusai Ki-86, which is the JAAF variant of the same aircraft|
|Kyushu K9W 'Cypress'||K9W1||?||B2-21||?|
|A6M 'Rufe'||A6M2-N||?||Donated to the French 8S Escadrille|||
|G4M 'Betty'||G4M2||?||F1-11||Tested at Tebrau AB, Malaya, 1946.||13th Kōkū Kantai Yūso-tai.|
|Ki-46 'Dinah'||Ki-46-III||5439||?||Tested at Tebrau AB, Malaya, 1946.||Originally from 81st Sentai, 3rd Chutai.|
|Ki-100||Ki-100-I Otsu||16336||?||Tested at Tebrau AB, Malaya, 1946.|||
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 Lake, Alan. Flying Units of the RAF. Airlife Publishing. 1999. ISBN 1-84037-086-6 Page 175
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 http://www.risingdecals.com/DyingSun/DyingSun_A.htm
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 http://www.j-aircraft.org/smf/index.php?topic=12392.msg88754#msg88754
- ↑ Francillon, René J.: Japanese Aircraft of the Pacific War, London: Putnam, 1970 (2nd edition 1979), page 503.
- ↑ https://www.pacificwrecks.com/aircraft/ki-46/5439.html
- ↑ https://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/documents/collections/85-AF-68-Kawasaki-Ki-100.pdf